"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before him endured the cross." Hebrews 12:2

Monday, October 5, 2009

Towel Cake

My mom, Danelle and I threw a bridal shower for Ariel in July.  It was a nice shower and I don't think I could have fit one more person into my living room!  It was packed!  All of Ariel's family, our family, and ladies from church crammed in to celebrate!  My mom cooked up a delicious storm and we all enjoyed a girly brunch:  breakfast casseroles, homemade muffins and breads, fruit yogurt and granola parfaits, bacon wrapped sausage, fresh fruit, and funfetti cupcakes (by Ariel's request!).  Everyone enjoyed the yummy menu.  We played some fun games of bridal bingo while Ariel opened her gifts and a version of "How well does the couple know each other?" where I had video taped Andrew the night before and then we asked Ariel to guess his answers at the shower.  It was very entertaining.  

A great idea that Danelle gave me was to pull double duty with a gift/centerpiece.  She told me about a "towel cake" someone had made at a shower she had attended.  She couldn't remember all of the details but I had made "diaper cakes" before for baby showers, so I figured I'd use a similar idea.  I bought some of Ariel & Andrew's towels off of their Bed, Bath, & Beyond registry and fashioned a "cake."  Check it out!  It was so much fun!


I picked up some cute little pears for my pun and made the little sign with cardstock and a brown marker...
pinned it with pearl head pins to keep everything secured and in place...
Nothing was glued or attached to the towels in any way except with pins.  I simply slid the ends of the flower stems in between towel folds.  I picked up a glass platter at my favorite outlet store to put the whole cake on, so Ariel will be able to use that again also!
The silk flowers were from the dollar store, and later on Ariel and I used them to put in the soaps we made as wedding favors!
The biggest compliment I received was when Ariel walked in the door and said, "Wow!  You made a huge cake!"  She thought it was real!  Mission accomplished! :)

2 comments:

Danelle said...

That towel cake was super cute! You did a great job, one of the many reasons I wish you were closer to home...we could throw parties ALL the time...you know that's what were meant to do :)

Ariel said...

True story i did think it was real, and it broke my heart to take it apart.! it was pretty much my fave. gift...